What Is Good Mileage for a Used Car?
Looking for a pre-owned vehicle around Kansas City? You may be factoring mileage into your decision, since some high-mileage used cars end up costing more in repairs. Hendrick Chevrolet Shawnee Mission has put together a guide about the essentials of used car buying, including what is considered high mileage for a used car and some important things to keep in mind. So, if you’re shopping around and you find yourself asking, “What is considered high mileage for a used car?”, read on!
What Is Considered High Mileage for a Used Car?
Although plenty of used cars can last for hundreds of thousands of miles with regular service, most drivers look for cars with below 100,000 miles on their odometer. The average driver puts about 10,000 to 12,000 miles per year on their vehicle, so if you’re looking for a used car with below 100,000 miles in Shawnee Mission, you’ll want to look at a model less than ten years old. Here are some important factors to keep in mind regarding used car mileage:
- Mileage vs. age: Although many drivers only look at the odometer, age is just as significant a factor when picking out a used car. For example, a year-old car with 50,000 miles on it may end up needing more repairs than a six-year-old car with 70,000 miles on it, because it has more mileage packed into a shorter period of time (although the total number of miles is less). Keep this in mind when looking for a used car.
- Year of manufacture: Car manufacturing has improved a lot over the last ten years. As we discussed above, newer models can easily last well over 100,000 miles as long as they have had regular service appointments.
- Regularly scheduled maintenance: This is an important thing to look for when you’re shopping for a used car. A vehicle with low mileage but an incomplete or irregular service record is a riskier choice than a high-mileage vehicle with regularly-documented service. Ask for proof of maintenance at the dealership to see if there’s a detailed record.
Additional things to Consider When Buying a Used Car
- Model generation: Different generations of the same model can have their own unique advantages or drawbacks. Third-party sources like Kelley Blue Book, Car and Driver, or Edmunds can give you more information about the generation you’re looking at.
- Vehicle history report: You’ll want as much information as possible about your potential vehicle, such as its repair reports and DMV records. The previous owner should be able to get you a vehicle history report to show what the vehicle has sustained over their ownership.
- Location: A car’s location is just as important as its age, generation, and mileage. Cars in dry climates usually hold up better than those in harsh or humid climates, regardless of age.
- Foreign luxury car brands: Luxury foreign cars tend to be more expensive to repair because they have to ship OEM parts overseas, but they also typically come with excellent warranties—particularly if you buy certified pre-owned rather than used.
Come to Hendrick Chevrolet Shawnee Mission for Your Used Car Needs
If you want more information about our inventory of used and CPO vehicles, contact our office anytime! You can also come by our dealership near Overland Park to see what low mileage used cars for sale we have available.
More from Hendrick Chevrolet Shawnee Mission
If you are looking for a wonderful mid-size pickup truck that you can enjoy on Kansas City roads, then the logical conclusion is that you should invest in the 2022 Chevrolet Colorado. The Colorado towing capacity tops out at around 7,700 pounds, which is plenty when it comes to Shawnee Mission drives. Find out more with…
How much can a Chevy Blazer tow? The new Chevy Blazer brings pulse-raising performance and sporty good looks to the streets of Kansas City, but the Chevy Blazer towing capacity you can work with depends on how you configure your new SUV. The maximum available Blazer towing capacity is 4,500 pounds. What does it take to…
The 2022 Chevy Silverado 2500HD brings heavy-duty capabilities to your Kansas City and Shawnee Mission job sites. If you’ve reviewed the light-duty Chevy Silverado towing capacity for the 1500 model and determined that it’s not quite enough for your needs, then an upgrade to the Silverado 2500HD is likely the right choice. At maximum, the 2022 Chevy…